Friday, December 14, 2012

New Arrivals...

While on my way to the Post Office today, my friend Doug called me over to his store.  He had found 5 tintypes in a box and knew that I would like them for my collection.  Luckily (this almost never happens) someone had etched names on the backs!  When I got home I immediately started searching online for information on the persons pictured in these wonderful old pics and much to my delight I found that they had Lambton County connections.

From the collection of John Rochon


Etched on the back of the above photo is "George Denham husband of Sarah Catherine Smith".  From what I could find online, this is what I put together:

George Denham, a druggist.  He was born c1839 in ON.  Prior to 1870 he married Sarah Catherine Smith born c1842, the d/o R.H. Smith and Mary Bogart.  He died in Petrolia, ON on 18 Jan 1903.  Sarah  died 9 Apr 1916 Oxbridge Twp., ON and was buried in Newmarket.  I also found this Real Photo Postcard of the interior of the Denham drug store in Petrolia c1915 which was at the time run by William Denham, s/o George and Sarah, on the Lambton County Library website/Museum Catalogue/Denham.  Could the lady in the photo be Sarah??

From the County of Lambton





















From the collection of John Rochon

The two photos above are of George Stanley Stokes, a farmer.  He was born in ON c1865, the s/o Sidney and Elizabeth Stokes.  In Petrolia, ON on 12 Jan 1898 he married Mary E. Denham.  She was born in Petrolia, ON on 13 June 1870, the d/o George Denham and Sarah Catherine Smith.  George Stokes died 22 May 1916 in Oxbridge Twp., ON and was buried in Newmarket.





















From the collection of John Rochon

The remaining two photos depict George Stokes (seated) with a friend at left and George Stokes with his sister Olive Isabel at right.  Olive was born c1864 in ON and married Nathaniel James Stevenson, the s/o Mark Stevenson and Rebecca Steen sometime between 1891 and 1901.  They had a son, William Morrow Stevenson born 2 Oct 1901 at Scott, ON, then Olive died on 16 Oct 1901 probably from complications of childbirth.  Nathaniel was born 13 Oct 1862 in ON and died at York, ON on 4 Oct 1921.

No comments:

Post a Comment